So here's the story.


I'm afraid of mediocrity. I'm afraid that if I don't do anything with my life, it'll be worth nothing. I don't need to change the world... but I need to change MY world.

In 2011, the year I turn 21, I'm setting out to achieve twenty one goals. Twenty one things that must be completed by 11:59 pm, December 31, 2011.

This is my journal.

This is the story of how I defeated mediocrity.

Saturday, November 13, 2010

The More You See, The Less You Know

Hey hey everybody! Back with another update to the blog with seven - yes, count'em SEVEN new goals to add to my list! Here's the updated article:


1. Record a five song EP
2. Get my motorcycle license
3. Donate blood
4. Busk for a day
5. Take a solo road trip
6. Cook dinner for me and five friends
7. See a game of sport, a concert, a comedy show, a musical and a theatre production
8. Paint a self-portrait
9. Learn a song on piano (or any instrument that's not guitar)
10. Read 25 important books
11. Create a 10-minute arthouse film
12. Create a photo album that represents my life
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.

A lot of these goals scare me. But I guess that's kind of the point - it's fear that prevents us from doing things which might change our lives. And fear won't stop me this time. I'm even a little afraid of little things like whether or not I'll be able to get a video done every day of the year - it's a big ask. But I'm determined not to let the many times things like this in the past have failed affect me. I AM going to do this.

I do need a little help - while I have some idea of which books I want to read, I'd like some suggestions from you guys on books you think are important in our history. Suggestions are more than welcome! Also, if anyone has something for me to add to number 7 (see a sports game, a concert, a theatrical production, a musical and a comedy), please tell me so I can add it! 

If you haven't already, please click the 'follow' link to the right of this post and become a follower of this blog, I'd like to spread the word and have as many people as possible following my journey! If you have, thankyou so much :)

-Adam

4 comments:

  1. How about volunteering for a charity organisation? Assuming you haven't done that already. Also, books are hard to suggest when we don't know what you've already read. Anything by George Orwell is a good start though...

    - Ellie W

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suggest anything - if I've already read it I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's plenty of histroically important or or well known books you can read... they might not all be super interesting though :P I don't know which ones you've read though

    Mein Kampf (Adolf Hitler)
    The Wealth of Nations (Adam Smith)
    War and Peace (Leo Tolstoy)
    Animal Farm (George Orwell)
    1984 (George Orwell)
    Catch-22 (Joseph Heller)
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Ken Kesey)
    To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
    The Tyranny of Distance (Geoffery Blainey)- a very good Australian History book
    Fast Food Nation (Eric Schlosser)
    A Short History of Nearly Everything (Bill Bryson)
    A People's History of the World (Chris Harman)

    I'm sure there's a lot more, that was just a first thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Volsungasaga and the Kalevala in second year. Access to UWA's library system is pretty handy for such things, haha.

    ReplyDelete