So here's the story.


I'm afraid of mediocrity. I'm afraid that if I don't do anything with my life, it'll be worth nothing. I don't need to change the world... but I need to change MY world.

In 2011, the year I turn 21, I'm setting out to achieve twenty one goals. Twenty one things that must be completed by 11:59 pm, December 31, 2011.

This is my journal.

This is the story of how I defeated mediocrity.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

When I Woke The World Was New

Hey hey! Merry Christmas to everyone, hope your holiday season is going alright.

So here we are on New Year's Eve Eve. I'm a little over 24 hours away from the biggest year of my life so far and I'm getting really excited. I think if anything my biggest fear at the moment is money to do a lot of this but I'm working as much as possible during the holidays in order to save some cash. I've always been really bad at budgeting so I'm going to really have to be careful this year and save. I'm a really bad impulse buyer. Gah.

Anyway, I've been working on my scrapbook where I'm putting any info or notes on my goals. Realised that I should probably pick my ;twelve important books' so I can get them out to read asap! I'm doing one a month for goal number 10, although a few of them are a series of books. I have produced the following list:

  1. "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Series" by Douglas Adams
  2. "The Lord of the Rings" by J.R.R. Tolkien
  3. "Lord of the Flies" by William Goulding
  4. "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking
  5. "Jonathon Livingston Seagull" by Richard Bach
  6. "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie
  7. "And Then There Were None" by Agatha Christie
  8. "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov
  9. "The Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger
  10. "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee
  11. "1984" by George Orwell
  12. "The Audacity of Hope" by Barack Obama
Looking at the list of books has actually got me quite excited - as does the rest of the list, naturally. Not sure if I'm going to include Eoin Colfer's addition to the Hitchhiker's Guide, depends on how fast I read the others.

I've decided the first goal on the list I'm going to shoot for is to get my motorcycle license. Maybe I can snag a motorbike for my 21st birthday :)



26 hours. I'll be back on New Year's Day with the first video of my journey. Here we go!

-Adam

2 comments:

  1. I can lend you some of those! To Kill A Mockingbird, 1984, LOTR (but I'm sure you have that already, hehe). You have unfortunately picked one of the Agatha Christie books I don't own, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ADAMMMM I have Catcher, its one of my favourite books. And Lolita, which is on my list of things to read as well :P

    ReplyDelete